Lots of people making small changes make a big difference!
At a public meeting in February 2011 over forty members of the community selected 10 simple energy saving actions to challenge Chineham residents. These energy saving actions reduce carbon dioxide emissions and help to save money. The 10 simple energy saving actions are:
1) Turn off the lights when you leave a room
2) Turn off all standbys
3) Wash laundry at 30C
4) Walk or cycle if the journey is less than a mile
5) Top up loft insulation to a depth of 270mm
6) Boil only the amount of water you need
7) Turn the thermostat down by 1C
8) Insulate water tank to a depth of 75mm
9) Turn off taps when brushing teeth
10) Reduce normal shower time by 1 minute
All of these energy saving actions have been audited by the Energy Savings Trust, see the Greening Chineham pledge card for full details.
Following the public meeting the campaign was launched in an inspiring event at Four Lanes Community Junior School on April 2nd 2011. Within one month over 10% of the community had signed up to the challenge with many more residents joining in all the time.
See how much energy, carbon dioxide and money was saved, click here.
Download the Greening Chineham pledge card showing these energy saving ideas here.